Thursday, August 25, 2005

a topic which not everyone likes...

Continued from the 'not-so-popular-blog subject'.... generally termed as religion...

As i was saying i need to say thanks to many many people. family,friends,relatives and of course not forgetting my mentor.

Please note this people. take it with a pinch of salt. content might not be suitable for all. not a 'one size fits all' thing. and the order of preference would be according to the level of utmost importance to me. you either read it from the bottom or take it right from the top. nevertheless, everyone plays an important part in this big big step i've taken.

My family: my mum, dad and brother. my parents initially of course was the biggest hurdle to cross because especially my mum. she took it the heaviest. because i feel that never in her life would she imagine that i would step into the world of Islam. and when they heard that i was taking up studies on that topic, they threatened to chase me out of the house if i were to convert one day without their consent. but thank God.i still have a shelter now over my head. my brother took it the lightest. no major reaction though but keep pressing me to tell him my blog address.at his age, nothing matters except fun fun fun. so religion to him,neh, not my cup of tea.no offence really.if you are seeing this.

MM(not minister mentor) but shortform for My Mentor: Together with God's will, he took the time to explain the details of Islam to me. he said because i wanted to know so that's why he shared. as the interest grows, he volunteered to bring me for my first orientation course, and then motivated me to go study the Beginner's course at Muslims' Converts Association of S'pore. and instead of spending time with his girlfriends, he sacrificed that and accompanied me to the class. isnt he so sweet? unfortunately, halfway through he had left s'pore on a job assignment. so i went there on my own. it was quite tough because the questions and doubts all had to be put on hold. and this happened for all the rest of the courses i attended. due to his busy schedule, he could no longer keep me company for the rest of the courses i registered. i've lost a study companion. everytime i go for my class, i saw most of my classmates were paired up with their malay bfs or gfs. at that time, i wished i had one too. (; and i always felt that it was so much easier to ask questions from my mentor if he were to be present in the class. anyway, i've been fine throughout the 3 courses that i've signed and attended on my own. Praise be to God. though my mentor might not be always available when i was really at my odds' end but nevertheless, i was really really glad that he had been around all this time. Thank you so much, MM.

My friends: some had been supportive but some had been receptive. and there was a particular good friend of mine whom i really cherished. i kinda lost that friendship through some misunderstandings. i wrote about her in my previous blog. no i didnt insult or defame her but just trying to emphasize the goodness about being a muslim. i might have hurt her unintentionally and she have ignored me since. i may have lost some friends but with God's grace, i gained double of what i have lost.

my cousins: only from the Ho family so far. i've went out with them twice for dinner. i wore my 'headscarf attire' but they didnt make me feel awkward and understood my position. i really need to thank them for their understanding. for accepting who i am and not what i become.

this journey has really changed my attitude and perception towards life. though i may not have been through this conversion long enough to talk big big philosophies in life to you but having gone through 6 months of enrichment lessons, the essence of being a good muslim is growing. and because Islam is deen, and deen is a way of life. a way of life is about incorporating the guidance given by God into your daily work and life. as one good blogger, ms misty puts in, there are bound to have groups of zealous extremists tarnishing the image of Islam. everywhere.

Anyway, thank you for dropping by and reading up to the very last sentence.

No comments: