Wednesday, August 10, 2005

a close shave

Yesterday i had planned to go climb some stairs to burn some fats off my body. ahh... just couldnt drag myself out of my bed. i cant remember what time was it when i finally got out from my bed. sub-consciously and half-awaken, i dragged my feet to the kitchen and found a note from my mum:

Daddy and myself have gone out to pray to ah kong (my 'expired' grandfather). i'm cooking lunch so please stay at home to eat. so we will be back by 12pm.

sharks.i exclaimed. i quickly opened up the pots and pans. found out that there was rice and two other dishes. i panicked. it has been always been the norm to cook some dishes at home and she would bring them to the temple during the seventh month ghost festival as offerings of 'spiritual food' to the dead ancestors. i remembered the very first time i received counselling, the counsellor told me that muslims can't consume food that are offered to the dead. the basis being you only pray and worship One God. because if you do, you are acknowledging that there are people Higher than Him, or that you believe that there is someone who is more Powerful and Sovereign than Him. the first person i thought of approaching to clarify my doubts was my mentor. but hmmm, it's a holiday man. so for sure he wont be available for me. so the next person i looked for was another sister who had converted for more than 10years. i text her but at the same time, i sms-ed another sister who had converted since last Sept 11. She replied first, stating that we aren't allowed to consume any food that had been already offered to the idols or the dead. so i've come up with several options:

Option 1: run out of the house as soon as possible. fork out a white lie, saying that i've got a lunch appointment already. skip all the food.
Reaction 1: she would be very disappointed.

Option 2: stay at home and face the music. try to explain things and see how it goes. but things might turn out ugly though.
Reaction 2: she would be very angry and upset. wrong impression created and the peaceful image of islam that i was trying so hard to portray would be tarnished...

Option 3: scoop out the 'clean servings' directly from the pot as those aren't offered yet. at least i tried to eat her food. then if she ask, i'll try and tell her nicely about my restrictions.
Reaction 3: SCREAMinggg... FUMIngg mad with me... ShOUTIngg at me: " I totally cannot accept your reasons. How can you ever say such things? How can you ever live harmoniously with us in this family?"

okay. so take it or leave it. do also die, dont do also die. just pray hard lor.

i decided to take option 2 and stay put. before i could scoop out the vegetables, she came back home. sharks la. but surprisingly, when i told her that i would be eating those from the pot, she didnt make noise, neither did she asked why... hmmm... she did cut some 'vegetarian fried ham' and offered to me. i quickly rejected. she said; 'aiya, why don't eat? i know u at home, that's why i buy and bring go and pray?' pointing to my mountain of rice and vegetables, i excused myself on the pretext of having so much in my plate already. by the time i finished my plate of lunch, no questions were shot at me. strange. hmmm....

later on, when i went out with her, she asked me what would i do if i were to meet a guy who doesnt want to embrace the same faith as i do. what would you think be my answer?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

KTVE Region 10
"It is a fun way to keep in touch with people from like different places," Molly said.
Lookin good, loved your blog site! Bookmarked it.

I have a Minka Ceiling Fan site/blog. It pretty much covers Minka Ceiling Fan related stuff.

Come see it when you get time.

blue said...

Hi Anonymous. thanks for dropping by...

blue said...

yeah... dun know what the comments are about. now i know why some blogs has instructions to ppl on how to leave comments without signing off as 'Annoymous'. haha