Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Hold on to your only HOPE: Allah

Each day in our Solat, we repeatedly make one humble request to Allah, our Creator and Sustainer: 'Guide us on the Straight Path.' (al-Fatiha : 4). It is only by seeking and staying on the Straight Path, that we can ever hope to attain true salvation and success. What then must we do to ensure that Allah accepts and grants our Prayer? The Quran explains: 'Whosoever holds on to Allah, he has already been guided onto a Straight Path. (Al-Imran :101)

How do we hold onto Allah (itisam billah) and develop a close attachment and a close relationship with Allah? Here are some reflection on the characteristics:

Being Thankful to Allah

First is being ever grateful and thankful to Allah for everything that you possess including your wealth, health, status, intellectual abilities and life. You should recognise that your very existence and your continuing sustenance are dependent on Allah. Whatever praise is due, therefore, it is due to Him alone, for nobody has the power or the resources to give you anything except by His will. His bounties and blessings are countless. Allah says:

"Is then, He who creates comparable to any that cannot create? Will you not, then, take heed?For should you try to count Allah's blessings, you could never compute them. Allah is, indeed, All Forgiving, All Compassionate; and Allah knows all that you keep secret as well as all that you bring into the open. "
(Surah an Nahl 17-19)

It is for this reason that Allah swt commanded the Prophet Ibrahim a.s to say: It is He who has created me, and so it is He who guides me; it is He who gives me to eat and drink, and whenever i am sick it is He who heals me; and it is He who makes me die and then will bring me to life. And upon Him, I pin my hope that He would forgive my sins on the Day of Judgement. (Surah ash-Shuara :77~82)


Nevertheless, keep praying to Allah.

“When my servants ask you concerning Me, I am indeed close to them. I listen to the Prayer of every supplicant when he calls on Me. Let them also, with a will, listen to My call, and believe in Me so that they may walk in the right way". (Surah al Baqara 2:186)

And the Prophet s.a.w said, “The worshipper is closest to his Lord while bowing down. So pray much then.”

No comments: