Monday, October 06, 2008

My 2nd 'Marriage' ... Finally it's over!!

Last week had been a crazy and hectic week for me.

It was Eidul Fitri on the 1st of October. I couldn't take leave because of my work committments.

I was busy with work because there was an Big annual event coming up for my department. And I had to take care of logistics, catering and all nitty gritty stuff surrounding the entire event.

I was busy with the preparation of my '2nd wedding'. ( getting another husband?? No la, of course not). Actually, it's a traditional tea ceremony and is quite common amongst the Chinese. The purpose of this tea ceremony, I suppose, is for the relatives to get to know the bride/groom and vice versa. And the newly wed couple has to go through a series of 'serving tea' to the in-laws, parents and relatives(directly related, not simply any Jane,Mary or Kate). Sort of like an acknowledgement that he/she has entered the family. Apparently, when I decided to hold my wedding reception last year, my parents forbade me to hold that tea ceremony in that month because of her superstitious. Silly right? Anyhow, I went ahead because I really don't believe that. So because of this superstitious month, not much of our relatives were invited except for an auntie who was the closest to my family. They had seen me with the tudung before, so I think they were okay with it. Preparation of my tea ceremony was crazy too! Everything had to be done within a short span of time. Just 2 days before the actual day, my mum was mad at me over trivial matters. Patient, patient...

And by the Will of Allah, every important thing clashed together around the same period. First,was Hari Raya, then came my department's event, and then followed by my tea ceremony.
My boss couldn't approve my leave for my Hari Raya celebration, even though I told her I had an important day to manage. So I was left with 2nd of October to do some visiting and try and finish up all the important stuff for the tea ceremony. Both me and my husband were so tensed and uptight about this, sometimes, we couldn't get each other's understanding about things. Never mind.

The event went smoothly. Alhamdulillah.

After work, I met my husband for prayers and dinner before he sent me back to my mother's place. Well, traditionally speaking, although i've been married(solemnized) for a year and already staying at my own place, my mother wanted me to go back to her home, so that my husband could come over and 'fetch' the bride over OFFICIALLY. well... well... Just to please her, I agreed to all her requests...

So after picking me up, we had to go back to our own home. Where I had my tea ceremony with my in-laws. This session was much easier to cope and stress free. :) (i thought usually inlaws give much pressure but i didn't feel any pressure at all).

We had to 'report' back to HQ during a certain period of time, given by my mum, checked by my auntie, certified by the 'almanac book'. So after the tea ceremony at my place, we left about 11am. Instead of going straight home, we went to pick my bro's gf at Bukit Timah. Haha. Somehow, we still manage to make it back.

When we arrived, I realized that most of my relatives have reached. Shortly after, we began the tea ceremony. My mum positioned the chairs infront of a 'buddha poster'. My auntie prepared the tea cups and the tray and told us to kneel infront of my parents. But another relative of ours said no need. I was glad but at least i made sure i bow lower and i offer the tea with due respect. I guess kneeling is not so necessary nowadays right?

Thank God, I really do not have a lot of relatives on my parents' side. but by the time, we finished everyone, I could feel the tiredness and sleepyness creep in. In the midst of everything, my husband and I took a short nap in the room. Both of us were knocked out!

Finally, we got the 'clearance' to go back home. It was almost asar. Oh God, we were so tired... we slept in the car, on our way home.

ALHAMDULILLAH! Am I not glad this thing is really really finally over!!!

I prayed additional raka'ats of shukran prayers to Allah swt to thank Him.

During the reception, I've heard conversations about the traditions of the Malays; the religion of the Malays etc ... and saw pairs of eyes staring at me... I tried my best to explain the basics to them, but I wonder if they truly digest and reflect what I said. Insya allah hopefully.

I will update some of my encounters soon. Insya allah...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

please leave a comment on www.fisabilillah12.wordpress.com. thank you

Anonymous said...

Congrats on ur tea ceremony. Just wana remind u, dont be confused over malay tradition and MUSLIM tradition.

And it's perfectly fine to go on wth some chinese tradition as long as they dont go again islamic values.

Since u're chinese, it's best to observe ur own practices (the halal ones of course), rather than Malay ones. Sure most muslims in S'pore are malays, but nonmalay muslims gotta kip their own cultures too.

blue said...

Thank you anonymous!

Yes, I will definitely keep them.. but it's hard to get the 'kueh kueh' and stuff halal-ised.

But insya allah, may Allah swt give me more opportunities to da'wah to them. amin.

mrsloke said...

oh dear. that's really hectic... and a special "eid" to remember forever. :)