Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Another da'wah activity

I was supposed to meet a colleague from another department to understudy how to process feedback forms. It was a totally new thing for our department because for so many years, the management didn’t feel that there was a need to do this.

So she started off by showing me the ropes. Along the way, I asked her about how long has she worked in this company and she told me that it was over 20years. Omigosh! I exclaimed. She had no complaints and she didn’t have high expectations in life. She was simply grateful to God for giving her so much. I could tell that she was really sincere and true to what she preaches. She always reminds herself of all the things that God has provided her. She also asked questions about my conversion. And I shared my story with her.

And I told her too; that Muslims are also taught to be grateful to God. (I used the word God, so that it would be more familiar with her). And I thought we agreed on many things about understanding the concept of God, until she talks about Jesus a.s. She said that because human beings are sinners ( because we are not perfect); Jesus a.s had to die for us in order to wash away our sins. And when he dies, his soul will become a bridge to be able to communicate with God. And she continues; Christians believed that Jesus is God and God is Jesus.

After she finished, I told her that; to Muslims, Jesus a.s did not die on the cross. He was replaced by someone whom God had made it looked like Jesus and Jesus a.s himself has been raised up to heaven. He will return back to earth in a ‘later part of a time’(God knows best). And importantly, I corrected her on her notion of 'God being Jesus and Jesus being God'. I explained to her that if she believed that God is all Mighty and Powerful, it is not possible to be Jesus a.s because he is a human being, not a God. She wasn’t ready to accept what I just said to her so she said that she will check it out herself. I even offered to show her a copy of the Quran if she’s interested. But she told me that she had read it quite often from the internet. I told her not to trust all sources because there has been so much of falsehood and hearsay about Islam; everyone would claim that they know so much about Islam.

Nevertheless, we ended the conversation with a friendly note. We were glad to have met and had this interesting conversation where we’ve shared so much. I may not be in a position to judge anyone, but she’s definitely one of the nicest Christian that did not display an over zealous attitude about her religion.

As for me, I will have to do more homework and learn more techniques to spread the good word about Islam more fervently. Insya allah. May Allah swt forgive my mistakes and guide me. Amin.

No comments: