Tuesday, October 11, 2005

'Sahur' and 'Iftar'

These two terms might look alien to you but these two words mean alot to me especially in this month of fasting.

'Sahur' is a pre-dawn meal muslims will partake to prepare for the rest of the day during the fasting month.Waking up at 0430hours is a struggle for me as my nights always end around 0030hours.and this meal is especially important for me because if i cant get up ontime to eat something,for a gastric-prone person like me,i might develop gastric for the rest of the day.and i would have to stop my fast to consume food,and that would invalidate my fast.and that's the last thing on my mind.

'Iftar' is the sunset meal to break our fast for the day.Usually occurs around 1855hours.If i'm hungry,by 1600hours,i would be checking the time at my watch for at least a hundred times till 1800hours,until i think the watch would shout at me:"Hey,how many times you want to look at me??!!"

if hunger pangs do not strike me, normally i would feel sleepy...very sleepy... if you give me a pillow,i would definitely fall asleep anytime,anywhere.yes,trust my words. i can sleep anywhere.i sleep on buses and i doze off during meetings*(my boss better not see this) the moment i got up the bus,position the air-conditioning,say a lil' prayer and off i go to DREAMLAND... if i'm lucky,i will wake up before my designated alighting stop but if i'm not,i'll end up at the depot.(where the buses have parked in those gigantic car parks)

so i started fasting a little later than the rest.on sunday,i bought a loaf of bread and my favourite peanut butter.I prepared my alarm clocks and i tried to tuck in a little early but my system dont seem to cooperate with me.in the end, i slept at almost 0100hours.goodness gracious!how to wake up??!!!

Lucky for me,my mentor gave me a buzz.a wake up call.whooaa!!! struggled to get out of my bed and sleepily walked to the bathroom and then to the kitchen for my 'sahur'.so this is my FIRST 'sahur' for my FIRST fasting day in my FIRST Ramadan. so many FIRSTS!!(of course... a freshie what!!!)

so i went to work as usual.the unusuals are not going to the pantry as often because i wont be making any beverages for myself.but the only problem is,time is passing EXTREMELY slowly and things at work arent getting on fine.(if fighting is allowed,i think my colleague wants to challenge a fight with me by the way she looked at me)the time from 10am to 12pm, and then from 2pm to 5.30pm seems to be ticking away like its taking ages man!i was lucky because there was training conducted during the morning and afternoon but nevertheless,i cant help but keep looking at my watch... and fasting requires you to keep away from undesirable behaviour,thoughts or actions.its about character building and anger management and importantly,strengthening your consciousness of God.

finally when the hour hand shows 5 and the minute hand shows 30minutes,i excitedly packed my bag and shut down my computer because my mentor is WILLING to break fast with me.no joke man!!! so i chucked away my sadness and happily went to meet him.i told him about my unhappiness at work but he didnt offer any consolation or advice.

He had laksa and i had my favourite soto ayam.after dinner we parted for our individual appointment.He went for his terawih prayers and i went for my class.so that was how i spend my FIRST day of fasting...

*disclaimer:only during this period.

2 comments:

blue said...

thanks nawooz.i agree with you.you sounded like an expert. (;
Your turn in March 2006?hmmm...intrigues me...

Sizzling Suzai said...

nice entry here...its totally differ w me as i am 'originally' muslim n fasting is my ramadhan routine since childhood..so, its absolutely truth that sometimes you forgot to be grateful when u r born as islam..

happy fasting 2011! ^^