Tuesday, October 25, 2005

'iftar' and mosque-hopping activities

Some updates on my experiences of breaking my fast in local mosques during Ramadan.

I had a great start. (but subsequently, not that great la) My mentor took the effort to break fast with me on my first day of fasting. though we didnt perform prayers together but nevertheless, the experience was comforting and heartwarming. because being the one and only muslim in the family,you dont get the chance to have 'iftar' with your family members.

2nd day of fasting, i rushed out of the office soon after the clock strike 5.30pm. didnt even perform my mid-noon prayers. took a bus and went straight to Darul Aman. heavy traffic. darn! when i finally reached the mosque, the call was nearing. i didnt know what were my priorities. to pray first or to break first. in the end, i was late for my prayers and i didnt even get to eat any porridge. i had only my dates and a slice of bread to rely on. waited till 8pm for the call to start the special 'night prayers called Terawih'. that mosque was near my house, so going home straight after prayers was only a few bust stops away.

subsequently, i began to squeeze more brain juice and came up with many contingency plans. either this mosque or that. today this mosque, tomorrow that mosque. all without the company of my mentor. he had the benefit of doing all this ramadan stuff with his family all the time. unlike those who are without any kins.

my 4th day of fasting, i went to Masjid Kassim near my class in Kembangan. when i reached, all the makciks were already seated on the strawmats in an airconditioned area. woww... aircon somemore... i was ushered into a group of muslimahs already seated with a BIG PLATE of rice infront of them. and there was 5 bowls of porridge for each individual. i was hungry so i thought there might not be enough for 5mouths. but when i actually finished the porridge, my appetite dropped. i wanted to forgo the rice but wasnt allowed to. i was persuaded to finish the 'section' under my nose. omigosh, that's alot to cope i thought to myself. but since no wastage is encouraged, i did my best. okay, so that was my impression of sharing food in a BIG PLATE.

after that, i had a tough week. everyday (except the days i had my classes) i cracked my mind and thought about where would be the fastest yet most convenient place to have my 'iftar'. because i also need to consider the allowance for me to perform my prayers.time was an important contributing factor. but amidst all this rushing, i am actually enjoying myself. enjoying my first ramadan in mosques having 'iftar'. though i wont deny the loneliness does kills the mood. haha. (= but its alright.

so it was mosque-hopping for me for the past few weeks. i remembered knowing another muslim sister in Al-Mujahidin mosque and then i saw her in Al-Falah mosque again. what a small world yeah. about Al-Falah mosque, the serving of 'iftar' is far more humongous than Masjid Kassim. ( i really wished i could snap it down and load it, then my blog would be more interesting) this time round, the PLATE became BIGGER! the rice served was more. as i knew i couldnt take alot, i restrained myself to only a bowl of porridge and a slice of kueh and 3dates. but guess what, told not to waste again, must help to finish. in the end, i ate it afterall. no regret because i never tasted such tender mutton with no smell, and the spice was just right. POWER!!!

and today, i had the opportunity with the will of God, to try breaking fast at Al-Muttaqin. the mosque near my workplace. this mosque do not have even LARGER PLATES but rather it is a first come first serve basis and its SELF SERVICE! i dont mind. at least i get to take how much i can consume so as not to result in gorging the food in because we cant waste. but i did noticed that they helped themselves with lots of fried fritters etc... lucky those didnt appeal to me. and this mosque ended the 'night prayers' quite early.

so now i know. but i'm still continuing my mosque-hopping. havent tried the one which i heard was air-conditioned. hmmm... maybe i'll leave that for the weekend ahead....

No comments: