Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Post Chinese New Year updates

While it was a long weekend break for the non-chineses, my husband and I was busying ourselves visiting our friends and relatives over the 4 days of CNY.


Ever since the day Allah opened up my breast to Islam, i've always tried to wear long sleeves and a cap every time I go out with my parents. Last year's CNY, I wore a bandana to my relatives house and they were already looking at me with weird expressions. This year, with the full hijab on my head, I can imagine more weird expressions on their faces. I might consider covering my 'aurat' in a different manner if my mum puts a request to me about this hijab thing but since she didn't, I decided to be in the way i've always been. Well, it might be quite hard on her, having to answer all the questions from my relatives about my 'strange','malayu' attire. Hope that God gives her an easy way out of all that. amin.

We tried to squeeze in both sides of our relatives in the 1st day. And we also arranged to visit some of our Chinese Muslim friends. Well basically, what the Chineses do during CNY is that we exchange mandarin oranges and some good words (prosperity, health, wealth etc). Thereafter, we just sit down, eat, drink and catch up with each other. One of our Chinese Muslim friend bought 'bak kwa'. (Not bbq pork but bbq chicken) And it's halal.(meat that is slaughtered according to islamic laws) This is the one thing that i missed alot. Heehee. And I helped myself(non-stop) to the bbq bak kwa, ignoring the pleads of my good nafs. :)

It was pretty tiring, having to run so many places in a day. All that pineapple tarts, cashew nuts and cookies, peanut cookies also made me tired.

But the consolation is, that I do not have to get stressed up over with not being able to find a place to pray because I have my husband to 'save' me. We can easily tell my mum that we have other houses to visit and we also can pray before committing ourselves to another visit.

Alhamdulillah.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

salam, you ate that bak-kwa @ my house, right, right, right? ;-P

blue said...

Salam kakatua,

uh-oh...So is Kakatua the male or female friend that I know? :)