Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Toilet interview

It's so hard to get squatting toilet bowls in modern buildings these days. Even if it exists, there would only be ONE. So after working here for almost a year now, there were only a few 'regulars' using that squatting cubicle. Besides the Muslimah colleagues in my office, not many of the other Chinese or Indian likes to use that cubicle.

But apparently, all of my colleagues have noticed that there was another colleague from another department in the same block likes to use that toilet too. At times, she would stand right infront of the cubicle and wait. At other times, when she is inside, she would take ages to come out. (right now, it seems like i know 'every toilet user' in this block.Haha) And after a few encounters in and out of the toilet, she hardly put on a smile on her face.

But things began to change when she caught me speaking mandarin. O Allah, may you please forgive your servant, for I have no intention to brag. Frankly speaking, a mandarin speaking tudung clad woman catches attention.(Of course, not the looks but the lingo she uses) So right after she heard me, she turned around and asked me:'Oh, you can speak mandarin?' And i replied; 'Yeah'. We didn't interact much that day.

And so we met again. But it was in the toilet. Not quite an ideal place to da'wah. But if Allah swt put me in that situation, so be it. And here goes our conversation:

B.C :'So you are that girl right, that can speak mandarin?'
me :'Yes, that's me.'
B.C :You chinese or malay?
me :'Chinese Muslim'.
B.C :'Why you convert?
me :'I was searching for the truth of my existence in this world. I was a Buddhist before but didn't get my answers, and I chanced upon Islam and realised that this should be the right religion.
B.C :'Actually i think all religion is good and true.'
me :'Hmm... not quite. Islam want you to acknowledge the one and only God.'(at this point, she didn't wanted to ask further about Islam from her face expression)
B.C :'so your husband malay?'
me: 'Nope, he's also a Chinese.'
B.C :'oh, that's strange. I hardly know got such thing. So when did he convert?after knowing you?
me :'nope he converted at quite a young age of 18. So it was through a mutual friend that we began to know each other.'
B.C :'So your family all muslims?
me :'Nope, just me.'
B.C :'oh why like that? Your parents ok with it?
me :'not quite ok at first. but now they are ok.'
B.C :'But why you dressed like that?' i thought only Malay dress like that?'
me: 'this is how all Muslims dress.' God wanted all women to cover themselves modestly, that's why we cover ourselves.'
B.C :'But not all Muslims wear like that right?'
me :'eerrmm...'

I couldn't remember how we ended the conversation. As much as I want to share more details about the beauty of Islam, but normally people only like to ask what B.C asked and not about the religion per se. It's a pity though but never mind; for Allah wills whom He guides.

And Allah swt works miraculously in ways you can't imagine. so we leave it to our Creator and Sustainer of the Worlds.

Now, B.C is so friendly. and we even greet each other in the toilet.

No comments: