Sunday, May 25, 2008

Flashback through a black Ford

My husband and I was supposed to meet his long time friend for a reunion and a very early farewell dinner. But it was postponed to Sunday due to some personal committments that he had to attend to. So after we finished cleaning the house, we washed up, changed and left home for magrib at a nearby mosque.

Straight after prayers, we went to his usual makan place at Bukit Timah. We have been here for umpteen times, so much so that we don't need the menu. Flipping the pages of the menu is just a formality. And that's because we always have our usuals. Not that we weren't daring enough to try other things, but somehow it's either this dish or that. Mee bandung was a long time favourite for me there but on 2 occassions, the standards dropped so badly that the soup was so oily that i barely touched it. (usually i finished most of the soup) So we decided to abandon that, assuming that there was a change of chef and the standards have deteriorated. We hardly patronise that restaurant nowadays.

I was sitting near to the walkway and the carpark lots located alongside the restaurant. Taa-dah, i saw this familiar vehicle parked right infront of me:

The Ford Hatchback, the sports rim, the tinted window shield, the stickers on his car etc etc... Now the only thing left to confirm if this vehicle is his vehicle plate number. Somehow all these stuff seemed to be retrievable at any time. Haha. And though the vehicle was parked so near to me, because it was nightfall, i couldn't spot the vehicle number without my glasses. I told my husband to check the vehicle number for me but he could't see too. He stood up from where he sat, went to the toilet, walked near the vehicle and came back with the vehicle number. It was really Linus*.

I looked around but I didn't see him. When i finished my dinner, I stood up and I saw him and his wife at another table near the wash basin. Oh my God! I need to walk to that area. My hubby told me to say hi but i didn't dare to. As I walked past, he stood up too and almost hit me. I didn't turn my head and went straight to the basin. When I walked back, he was still at the cashier. But he didn't see me. I went back to my seat and my hubby asked me why didn't I greet my friend. I told him I was shy because his wife was around. Or perhaps I wasn't courageous enough to face them. Why? I wasn't sure myself either.

My hubby being the funny one, waved at him when he got into the car. But I told him not to. Because his window shield is darkly tinted(we can't see him but they can see us), so even if he sees us waving at him, he might wave back and we wouldn't know. Or he could have seen us but plainly ignored. I was procrastinating if I should email him to ask him if he sees us.

Arrgghh, flashes of memories returned...

And I finaally met his wife. In a silent mode.

No comments: