Monday, March 10, 2008

Slippers were Stolen!

I went to Vivocity with my husband last Saturday. I planned a birthday luncheon celebration for my mum.

After our noon swimming, we headed straight down to the Temenggong Mosque for our zuhr prayers. As usual, there wasn't much people in the mosque. After zuhr, we headed to Vivocity, Swensens to meet my family. It was a hearty and sinful lunch. I could have burnt away quite alot of calories after the swim but i ordered 'fried chicken delight'. Too late for regrets. Since everyone was so full, we didn't have any desserts after that. Instead we walked around to digest the food and we had some hot drinks before we parted.

Asar (prayers) sets in by the time we left Vivocity. So we headed back to the mosque. Frankly speaking, I didn't quite like the toilet there because it's quite open and you need to leave your shoes at 2 different spots and they were actually quite exposed to the 'public'. After taking my ablution, I left my slippers (at the usual place) and walked towards the female praying area. A lady who just walked out from the female prayer hall passed me. Usually, i wouldn't think so much after removing my slippers but strangely, I had somekind of a feeling that something would happen.

After my prayers, I walked towards the shoes area. I was already looking ahead before I reached. My blue slippers was GONE!!!!!!! I called out my hubby, who was standing there, that my slippers was gone. I told him to look around for me while i check the toilet. Perhaps there might be some makcik who mistakenly used my slippers and went to the toilet. But it was not there either. We looked around and checked everywhere; the drains, rubbish chute, ablution and toilet cubicles but my favourite slippers was nowhere to be found.

I was very sad. I just experienced a 'stolen experience' at a mosque. A place which i never thought that stealing would happen.Though i knew that this wasn't right but i had some suspicions about that lady that passed me because no one left the prayer hall after her.

I had to console myself that 'everything comes from Allah and shall return back to Him'.

Inevitably, I can't help to think about my slippers till now. I do feel a little bit for my slippers even though i know i should not yearn for the 'dunya' (worldly)things too much. I don't want it to get attached to my heart but i don't know why i kept thinking about it. Maybe the reason is, I can't accept the fact that this has happened. In a mosque. Period.

Or perhaps, it's a test from Allah.

5 comments:

mrsloke said...

where do you swim? i shall use my (almost) 'real' identity now. he he.

Anonymous said...

It's common for expected things to happen at UNexpected places. Besides, u were @ the mosque to pray, wic is a good doing, and good doing usually gets 'tested' back by Allah.

In addition, despite watever appearances that lady u suspected has, maybe she actually NEEDS the slippers more than u do. Wallahualam.
--Willow

Anonymous said...

Its very natural to feel the way you do, especially if its something you have an attachment for. I have had things stolen in a mosque before so I know how you feel. For sure, you should not drop your guard just because you are in a mosque.

Having said all that, whilst the woman you mention was probably the prime candidate for the theft, one should not jump to presumptions. Several times I have had egg in my face for making accusations about missing things, only to find that I had left it somewhere else. Thankfully, those incidents happened only with close family members, who were more than willing forgive me.

All said, I think that you have the right approach. Its hard but inshallah you will soon get over the "loss".

blue said...

Dear Mrs Loke,

We usually go to the club at Buona Vista. Will separately text you to let you know where. hehe.

blue said...

To anonymous,

You got a point.To think on the brighter side,which of course,is the wisest thing to do.

Thanks for the reminder.

And to 'the' anonymous,

Now i've more or less gotten over it. Sometimes we need reminders that, in life, many of the things that we hold on to now is ACTUALLY on 'loan' to us only.

Allah knows best.