Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Patriotic or not?

So National Day is around the corner.

And I won’t be around this time to celebrate the Nation’s 43rd Birthday. Don’t blame me for being unpatriotic or disloyal to her. I didn’t plan for this getaway during National Day. We were to join another group of friends for Malaysia. (now, it really sounds I’ve betrayed my country as I join other Singaporeans leaving her, for our neighbouring country.)

It’s not exactly just a weekend getaway. I took leave from Friday onwards, up to Wednesday. Because the following Monday was announced by the Uni that it’s going to be a substituted public holiday in lieu of National Day, I saved a day of leave.

Uni has planned for a fun-filled celebration on the 8th of August 2008. After looking through the programme outline, I realised that I am going to miss out a whole lot of fun, food and games galore. Simply put, it’s a no work and all fun day on 8th of August! (if exigencies of service permit)

I was tasked to get the lyrics of the songs of National Day. And in the end, I got the music, rhythm and lyrics all stuck in my head. I was even singing these songs on the bike and at home. My husband could not take it anymore and called me ‘Crazy’. I ignored his pleads and continued to sing and he continued saying that those songs that I sung were ‘brain-washing’ songs.

I rebutted his statement and told him that it’s actually quite Islamic. This is the one that I always like:

We, the citizens of Singapore
Pledge ourselves as one united people
Regardless of race, language or religion
To build a democratic society
Based on justice and equality
So as to achieve happiness and prosperity
And progress for our Nation.

We are Singapore, we are Singapore…….

I shall not continue, otherwise I might not be able to stop singing again.

Allah swt created us and all of us came from Adam a.s. So by right, we should be united because we came from one original source.

As a vicegerent on planet earth, we should all live in harmony regardless of race, language or religion. And Prophet s.a.w treated everyone the same; there was no discrimination treatment.
Although we are created differently, we are still equal in the eyes of God.

God is the Master on the Day of Judgement. He will be Just and He will reward anyone who does an ant-like deed, will be rewarded. But if you set partners alongside with Him, this is one sin which He will not forgive.

“They do blaspheme who say: "Allah is Christ the son of Mary." But said Christ: "O Children of Israel! worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord." Whoever joins other gods with Allah,- Allah will forbid him the garden, and the Fire will be his abode. There will for the wrong-doers be no one to help.” (Surah al-Maida 5:72)

Well, of course, prosperity doesn’t just come from justice and equality. It comes from Allah alone. Perhaps we can enjoy peace if everyone practices patience and tolerance.
And as for ‘Progress for our Nation’, it still goes back to Allah swt for sustaining, preserving and maintaining this universe and all those things that are in it.

Anyway, up to this moment that I’m posting up my post, I’ve stopped singing already.

Happy 43rd birthday, Singapore.

Alhamdulillah.

No comments: