Friday, July 06, 2007

Which priority comes first

(I'm actually having second thoughts about writing this)
I came to realise that
some muslimahs who don the scarf actually do not pray.

I was shocked to hear that.


It was brought to my awareness when my friend was telling me to approach the muslimahs at my workplace to check where is the musollah located but he said to me: ' not all muslimahs who have the scarf actually pray, so you might ask a 'fake one'. Well, that really came as a surprise to me. For naturally, I would have the impression that all muslimahs who wear the hijab would pray. Why wouldn't they, since they have accepted the hijab to be part of the islamic faith? And prayers, being the pillar of Islam, being the most important pillar for a Muslim, why aren't they also carrying out that commandment?

Recently, I attended a talk at Darul Arqam and the topic was 'The Significance of Rejab'. And while since we are in the month of Rejab, maybe i can share abit of what i heard from Shaykh Mohd Ibrahim.

He shared with us the story of Isra and Mi'raj of Prophet Muhammad s.a.w and got the 'gift of prayer' from Allah swt. Initially, Allah swt decreed that the ummah of Prophet saw should pray 50times per day. While Prophet saw came down, he met Musa a.s and was told to go back to Allah to reduce the number of prayers. Musa a.s said that Prophet's ummah is weak and would not be able to handle the prayers. He made several trips, each trip requesting Allah swt to reduce the load of his ummah.

And so finally it was reduced from 50 to 5 times per day. Musa a.s still told him to go back and reduce it somemore but Prophet saw was so ashamed because he had already made so many trips.

Nevertheless, Allah swt promised Prophet saw that his ummah would still continue to receive the reward of 50prayers even though it was only 5times per day.

How lucky are we to be Prophet's saw ummah!

But think again:' Musa a.s was right about us. We are weak human beings. With only just 5 prayers to manage per day, sometimes we neglect the importance of it, sometimes even thinking lightly of it.

And Allah swt is ever so Merciful, so Generous to His creations. By just praying 5 times, we get a reward equivalent to 50prayers. Is there any other God that can be so generous?

Masha Allah. Glory be to Allah! All Praises belong to Allah, LOrd of the heavens and the earth!!!

Rejab: month of Allah. recommended to ask for alot of forgiveness for Allah is the all-forgiving; most Merciful.

9 comments:

Snow said...

اعوذب لله من الشيطان الرجيم

Recite that which has been revealed to you of the Book and keep up prayer; surely prayer keeps (one) away from indecency and evil, and certainly the remembrance of Allah is the greatest, and Allah knows what you do. [Quran 29:45]

-------

Peace be upon you Shafiqah, :)

Yes, the 5 prayers is important. Even a sick person must pray, even with signs - what more a healthy one. I saw muslims pray on rubbles after earthquakes, it's amazing. An accepted prayer really brings glow in hearts, hopefully all muslims will enjoy that beauty, amen.

May Allah SWT Bless you always. :)

Snow said...

& I love the reminders in your blog. Keep it up, thanks. :D

Anonymous said...

Visitor:
Where have u BEEN all dis while? I've shockd that u're actually shockd upon discovering that some scarfed gals dont pray!

Apparently thats actually a VERY common 'phenomenon' (in S'pore context), u know? Well, if u didnt know b4, NOW u know.

In de first place, some of them may have worn the scraf 4 de wrong reasons, which is why they dont pray DESPITE wearing scarf. Some may be too 'coward' 2 ask permission fr employer, or too scared 2 insist from an employer who doesnt allow them to pray.

Some may figure that they'll just 'compensate' by doing the solats at home since at workplace it may be 'troublesome'.

SOME scarfed ladies, such as myself, just find the prayers part of Islam slightly more troublesome to do than to don the scarf.Thats y we wear the scarf but we screw the prayers bit.

Anonymous said...

Visitor:
But dont be too quick to judge us yeah...it doesnt mean we all dont pray AT ALL. Some of us actually do, just not at our wrkplace, as we feel it's troublesome.

Not every scarf-clad muslimah has an 'understanding' boss or a wrkplace which has a 'convenient corner' to act as mushollah. And we definitely aint gona risk losing our jobs just cos of failed 'solat negotiations' with the boss or security guard or even the cleaner.

Anonymous said...

Visitor:
NOT ALL nonpraying-scarfed-muslimah colleagues will tell u that they dono where the mushollah is at ur wrkplace. For example, I make it a point to find out where the mushollah in my wrkplace is (if any), so that i can tell OTHER musllimahs if they ask me shld they want to pray.

The point is, just becos some of us dont pray, it doesnt mean we want to influence others not 2 pray as well.

Anonymous said...

Visitor:
I know u said u had 2nd thots abt writing dis post in the first place. But come 2 tink of it, it's gd u wrote it, cos i reckon YOU can learn sum new info as well.

Anyway, i dono abt other socalled nonpraying scarfed muslimahs, but personally i DO pray in some instances when it's convenient e.g. at home, and at any time and place whereby i know my job isnt at risk. I know this sounds silly, but i prefer doing my prayers in ways that DONT BURDEN OTHERS.

I dont see how it's NOT burdenful when people take some 'time off' from their wrktime to go and pray. Every type of work is business and in every business, time is money.

If i join an overseas trip organised by nonmuslims, I dont feel comfortable burdening people by expecting them to incorrporate my prayer time in the trip itinery.

Anonymous said...

Visitor:
I dare say i speak 4 a number of 'unpraying' or not-so-praying scarfed muslimahs that we r no less 'muslim' than people who pray in general or scarved muslimahs who pray.

I hope u are aware that despite our 'lack of prayers', many of us DONT do drugs, DONT drink alcohol, DONT go clubbing, DONT engage in premarital sex and many other things prohibited in Islam.Many of us STILL FAST, STILL PAY ZAKAT, etc etc, u get the gist. We just dont or dont like to pray.

Interestingly, some behaviours of muslimahs who actually pray (or at least they SAY they pray)left mysteriously much 2 be desired.

I have a muslimah fren who once told me it makes no sense 4 me NOT 2 pray when i'm a scarfed gal. My fren claims she rarely skip her solats. & being de good fren as well as fr my observations/experience of being her fren, i BELIEVE her.

HOWEVER, wats intresting abt my fren is that whilst she prays 5 times per day, she also ensures that she has an ACTIVE SEX LIFE. And i'm NOT talking abt marriage sex, lady. My fren is SINGLE. She prays 5 times per day but still sleeps around wth men AND she also, as she admits, drinks alcohol.

Anonymous said...

Visitor:
And yes i hope u're aware that there're MANY people who're like my fren.

I know that among other things, prayers are supposed to CLEANSE us. But how do we explain it when the situation is like my fren's?

Ok i tink i've veered slitely out of point. I've lots 2 write bt i figured i'd just let u figure it out. Just remember the next time u encounter a nonpraying scarfed muslimah, dont be too quick to judge. Dont even assume all of us are wearing it for fashion trend's sake. I can take forever elaborating on that but i wont.

blue said...

If i had sound like i was judging,I sincerely apologised for my mistake.But in fact, i was not and i am not in a position to judge.

While i am just a servant in the eyes of Allah swt,Most High,All seer and Hearer, the JUdge in the Hereafter, how can i judge people by whether they pray, or whether they wear the scarf or not.

My Intention in writing this is only to highlight the importance and significance of prayer,not to pass judgement on anyone.